I knew it was coming, didn’t you? But I didn’t want to believe it. Our incredibly mild winter has morphed into an incredibly hot summer.
For the last weeks of summer, consider these kid-tested/family approved ways to end summer with a bang and stay cool.
- Waterparks. Who doesn’t love a water slide? Oceans of Fun, has 60 acres of slide and water attractions. Or head over to the Coco Key Water Resort, which is an indoor waterpark. Kansas City also has lots of spray parks and community pools.
- The Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art. A collection of nearly 35,000 pieces of art; you could easily spend an entire day here and still not see everything. Now through Aug. 19, the special exhibit, Inventing the Modern World, Decorative Arts at the World’s Fair is on display at the museum. Young and old will enjoy seeing the thousands of objects that were showcased during the 1851-1939 World’s Fairs.
- Crown Center. It’s a destination within itself, from the newest attractions, LEGOLAND Discovery Center and Sea
Life Aquarium, to tried-and-true popular attractions such as Kaleidoscope, Union Station, National World War I Museum at Liberty Memorial to the Money Museum at the Federal Reserve Bank. And plenty (60) of shops and restaurants to fill your dining and shopping pleasures. And don’t forget, the three performance theaters – American Heartland Theatre, The Coterie Theatre and the Off Center Theatre.
These last two are not necessarily family friendly, but are more geared toward grown-up fun.
- Adults can re-hydrate themselves with a refreshing beverage at Snow & Co., a modern cocktail and café lounge in the historic Crossroads Arts District. Keeping the local flavor, Snow & Co., features local brands like Boulevard, Christopher Elbow, 360 Vodka and Soda Vie.
- If you want to be cool and be seen, The Jones, KC’s first and only ultra pool, is the place to be. Located in downtown on the roof above Cosentino’s Downtown Market, The Jones is open to the public Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays. Weekdays are reserved for private parties. Twelve private cabanas, swim up bar, raised decks and full cocktail service accompanied by DJs from LA, Las Vegas and KC are what make The Jones so ultra cool.