Fall (or autumn if you prefer) is a wonderful time of year in Missouri wine country. The breathtaking colors of the changing leaves are a sight to be treasured, and the cool, crisp air is ideal for snuggling up with a glass of your favorite local wine. These are some seasonal favorites we think should make it into your plans this fall.
- Become an MVP. Visit wineries and earn points toward rewards in the Missouri Winery Visitors’ Program. With 130 wineries to explore, your fall will be full of vino adventures.
- Visit a wine trail. There are 10 in the state and they all have something different to offer. Several of them have unique events planned for this fall such as the Wine Diva Weekend on the Route du Vin in Ste. Genevieve, Holiday Fare on the Hermann Wine Trail, Sip & Soup on the Missouri River Wine Trail, and Taste of the Holidays on the Missouri River Hills Wine Trail.
- Savor the beautiful colors of the changing leaves. A scenic drive to a winery, a marvelous view from a winery’s outdoor seating, or hiking/biking the Katy Trail from winery to winery… There are lots of options for getting out and really appreciating the beauty of this season of transition.
- Taste a seasonal wine. Several wineries in the Show Me State make limited run, small batches of seasonal wines that range from Pumpkin Pie, to Cranberry, to Gingerbread. They are most often only available at the wineries and for a limited time. It’s almost a treasure hunt to find and taste these fun seasonal varieties.
- Listen to live music at a winery. Before the chill in the air gets too cold, enjoy some live music at a winery. Many wineries feature bands on the weekends.
- Try mulled wine (AKA Gluhwein). A traditionally German recipe, served warm, of spiced wine and fruit. It’s unique and delicious. Whether you try your hand at making it at home or enjoy it at a winery, it’s a must as the weather cools down.
- Create and share a fall inspired wine cocktail like this Apple Cider Sangria.
- Go to a fall festival. There are many at wineries, others where wineries are in attendance, all are a great time. Check out this list of fall festivals in Missouri for some ideas.
- Sip your favorite Missouri red wine, fireside. Fall is bon fire season and there is nothing better than enjoying a bon fire with a glass of warming, red wine.
- Add wine to your favorite fall baking recipe. Incorporating wine to your baking can add a unique flavor and richness. This guide will help you figure out the best way to wine-up your recipes.
- Pair the first batch of chili with the perfect Missouri wine. Chili season is so close we can taste it, and that first batch always tastes the best. Doesn’t it? Be sure to pick up the ideal wine to go with it.
The list of fun things to do this fall in Missouri wine country could go on and on and on, but these should get you started!