Baseball season begins Monday. Finally, the boys of summer are back.
While it might be hard to get too excited about baseball season – considering our recent weather – this truly is a great time of year to be a baseball fan in Missouri.
In fact, here are just five (of many) reasons you should be happy baseball season is now underway:
- Awesome baseball stadiums: According to Trip Advisor, two of the top 10 baseball stadiums in the country
are in Missouri. Both Busch Stadium in St. Louis and Kauffman Stadium in Kansas City made Trip Advisor’s list. Congrats to both! Find tour information for Busch Stadium here and for Kauffman Stadium here.
- Negro Leagues Baseball Museum: If you’ve never been to this museum, you’re missing out. It’s both a baseball fan and history buff’s dream come true. A great collection of memorabilia and wonderful stories await. The museum is located in Kansas City’s Historic 18th and Vine District and is connected to the American Jazz Museum.
- Han Solo is coming to Missouri: Actor Harrison Ford plays Branch Rickey (Brooklyn Dodgers GM) in the upcoming film “42,” which tells the story of baseball great Jackie Robinson. Ford will be in Kansas City for a special screening of the film on April 11. Robinson played for the Negro League’s Kansas City Monarchs franchise; proceeds from the special screening will benefit the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum.
- Home openers: The Cardinals and Royals open their 2013 seasons on the road, but both return to the Show-Me State for their home openers on April 8. There’s nothing like joining 40,000 of your closest friends for hot dogs, cold beverages and cotton candy – maybe a little barbecue, too – on the home team’s turf.
- Tomorrow’s stars play here: Missouri is blessed to have minor-league teams, including the The Springfield Cardinals, who begin their 2013 campaign on April 11 against Corpus Christi. Another great minor-league team, the O’Fallon-based River City Rascals, plays its first game May 10.
There you have it, five great reasons to get geared up for baseball season in Missouri. Expand your outing and make a week or weekend of your baseball-focused getaway. In fact, if you like both baseball and brews, you might click on the image below to see a custom Trip Idea courtesy of VisitMO.com.
Enjoy the season and remember to root, root, root for the home team.