Are shopping and dining your secret pleasures? If so, you’ll fall in love with Historic Downtown Parkville’s eclectic collection of galleries, specialty shops, vintage boutiques, and unique eateries.
Discover an interesting selection of merchandise, including handmade and personalized gifts; fine and fun art; one-of-a-kind crafts; jewelry; home décor; books; and collectibles not found in big-box retail stores. From antiques to ant farms, gourmet teas to T-shirts, rubber stamps to ribbon trim, fine art to financial planning – this delightful old-town district offers it all – and more.
Spring and summer bring Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, graduations, weddings, and other special occasions to enjoy downtown Parkville’s charming, nostalgic ambiance. Most of the original buildings from the 1800s still stand on Main Street. You’ll enjoy the colorful backdrop for shopping and dining. Spend a day, or just a few hours – there’s always something to see and do.
Take a stroll along the riverfront. Savor a good cup of coffee or fragrant tea. Play a round of miniature golf. Browse antiques, vintage treasures, and locally crafted art and jewelry. Taste great wines. Focus on science. Find a unique gift. Or relax and watch the trains go by as you dine on French, Mediterranean, Mexican, Italian, American and South American cuisine.
You’ll also want to take in at least one, if not all, of the many annual festivals and events. This year’s line-up includes:
- Parkville Cruise Nights, First Saturdays, April-September (with the exception of July), 4 p.m.-8 p.m.: Find your dream ride while you listen to cool tunes, cruise hot wheels, and take in the sights, shopping and dining up and down Main Street.
- 10th Annual Parkville Microbrew Fest, Saturday, April 27, 1 p.m.-5 p.m.: Further your fine-crafted beer education while you enjoy good grilled eats, rockin’ live music and a great day in English Landing Park.
- 18th Annual Parkville River Jam – Jazz, Blues and Fine Arts, June 14-15: A music-packed, two-day festival for family and neighbors showcasing musicians, artists and fantastic food from around the Kansas City area and beyond.
- Parkville July 4th Celebration, July 3-6: Bring the whole family for a taste of good old-fashioned Americana. This traditional salute to Independence Day includes a parade, carnival rides, fireworks and more.
- Parkville Days, Aug. 23-25: Something for everyone – music, carnival rides, more than 100 craft and art booths, a Saturday parade, good eats, games and fun for the whole family.
- Third Annual Parkville Days “Run by the River” 5K, Aug. 24: Parkville Days 5K Run leads the parade Saturday morning. The run is a fundraiser for Christmas on the River.
- “Through the Woods” 5K Trail Run, Nov. 2, Parkville Nature Sanctuary: This beautiful run winds its way along the White Tail Trail to picturesque Park University grounds and finishes on the White Tail and Bluebird trails. The run is a fundraiser for Christmas on the River.
- Light up the Night, Nov. 30: Downtown officially welcomes the sights, sounds and joys of the holiday season with a lighting ceremony, special activities and open houses.
- Christmas on the River, Dec. 6-7: Our famous, family style celebration greets the season with live entertainment, special activities, Santa’s arrival and our spectacular fireworks display.
Visit ParkvilleMo.org to learn more.
From Danelle Nichols, executive director of Main Street Parkville Association.