Whew! So glad winter is finally over and summer is right around the corner. Even though summer officially starts June 21, most associate the start of summer at the end of May with Memorial Day!
No matter which you choose Kansas City has fun covered this season. Here are 7 reasons families will love spending time this summer in KC.
1. Debuting this summer, Worlds of Fun’s newest thrill ride, SteelHawk joins the family of 12 other thrill rides and roller coasters. Soaring at a whopping 301 feet in the air and traveling at a speed of eight rotations a minute, the SteelHawk is not for the timid. But if you would prefer something more tame, spend your time at Planet Snoopy or ride the many family friendly rides throughout the park.
2. The North American tour of the King Tut exhibit kicks off in KC! On display at Union Station, The Discovery of King Tut, showcases the whole treasure that was discovered when archaeologist Howard Carter uncovered King Tut’s tomb in 1922. What’s cool are the 1,000 reproductions of what was found in the tomb. The reproductions were scientifically and expertly hand-crafted over five years by leading Egyptian artisans. This exhibit runs through Sept. 7.
3. The Kansas City Zoo is a perfect place for families. Watch Nikita, the polar bear, do tricks in the Polar Bear Passage or head over to Helzberg Penguin Plaza and watch more than 50 feathered friends from both warm and cold climates.
4. Baseball, basketball or both? Whether that’s taking in a Royals baseball game at Kauffman Stadium or visiting the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum or shooting hoops at the College Basketball Experience, the entire family will have a ball!
5. Kansas City barbecue. Need I say more? KC’s signature dish is served at 100 restaurants across the city. Some even have national and international acclaim. From the popular to celebrity endorsed to the corner joint, KC has great barbecue.
6. The Money Museum at Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City is another great museum for families. Not only is it free, but children and adults too, can watch millions, (yep, I said millions) of dollars in currency be processed. Don’t forget to pick up free souvenir – a shredded bag of U.S. currency!
7. Outdoor concerts and festivals are plentiful this summer. Jiggle Jam, Celebration at the Station, KC RiverFest and Festa Italiana are just a few of the festivals happening around KC this summer.
For a full list of things to do, go to VisitKC.com for a calendar of events, itineraries and more.
Written by Toni Alexander, communications manager at the Kansas City Convention and Visitors Association.