Tag Archives: German

Hermann Sites Embrace German Heritage

deutsch-101

In the spring of 1838, steamboats carried German immigrants up the Missouri River to a hilly site, which eventually became the city of Hermann, as part of a massive migration that changed the face of Missouri forever. The immigrants were led by George Bayer, a schoolmaster and surveyor. Bayer laid out the town and assigned lots on 11,300 acres; the ... Read More »