Adaptive reuse is a popular term for the process of reusing an old site or building for a purpose other than it was designed for. It’s seen by many as a key factor in land conservation and reduction of sprawl, but it also makes for some pretty interesting stories! The wineries listed below are some of those in Missouri that offer unique histories in the form of adaptively reused sites and buildings.
- Adam Puchta Winery – Hermann
The land on which Adam Puchta Winery sits was purchased by the Puchta family in 1841. The original stone house has been restored and serves as the winery’s gift shop. The larger tasting area at the winery is one of the original barns. This winery has a lot of history to share.
- Amigoni Urban Winery – Kansas City
Amigoni Urban Winery is located in the historic Daily Drover Telegram Newspaper building in the Stockyards District of the West Bottoms in Kansas City. The building was constructed in 1909, and for 50 years was a daily newspaper for the livestock industry.
- Baltimore Bend Vineyard – Waverly
Originally built with the intent of housing an antique mall, the building was also the site of an apple cider processing facility for some years before Baltimore Bend Vineyard took over. Waverly is known for being home to many apple orchards and an annual Apple Jubilee dating back to the early 1900s. Baltimore Bend makes an apple wine in homage to its hometown.
- Belvior Winery – Liberty
The site that now houses Belvior Winery has a vast and varied history. Originally it was built as a hotel in 1887, it was then sold to the Independent Order of the Odd Fellows and served as a complex and home for many of its members and families in need. It’s even said to be haunted and has been featured on national paranormal TV shows.
- Cave Vineyard – Ste. Genevieve
Cave Vineyard sits atop a natural Saltpeter Cave, named by the early French settlers of the Ste. Genevieve area. Today, the cave is inhabited primarily by wine enthusiasts enjoying the sounds of a babbling brook and the taste of quality Missouri wines.
- Charleville Vineyard Winery & Microbrewery – Ste. Genevieve
Charleville Winery moved an 1860’s log cabin from St. Mary’s and re-erected it on their property in Ste. Genevieve. They use it as a Bed and Breakfast. They also rent out the downstairs and porches of the historic building for private parties.
- Chaumette Vineyards & Winery – Ste. Genevieve
Chaumette Winery renovated an old barn and stable, now used for private events. It is particularly popular for weddings. The Barn at Chaumette sits just beyond the tasting room on a picturesque hillside surrounded by lush wood, with a covered porch and a brick patio.
- Durso Hills Winery – Marquand
Durso Hills Winery is housed in a two-story brick building that had a past life as the Homan Mercantile, built in 1920. The second floor has a stage and seating area the winery converted for use during events and shows held on-site.
- Fence Stile Vineyards & Winery – Excelsior Springs
Fence Stile Winery’s existing tasting room is housed in a repurposed barn, original to the property. However, additional buildings are being built as the winery expands.
- Hemman Winery – Brazeau
The building housing the Hemman Winery was a general store built in the 1800s. The previous generations of the Hemman Family ran it as a general store before it was converted into the winery.
- Horst Vineyards – Mountain View (temporarily closed)
A small boutique winery in the Southern Missouri Ozarks, Horst Vineyards found its home by re-purposing an old farmhouse into their tasting room. Enjoy the winery’s friendly casual atmosphere located just west of Mountain View.
- Les Bourgeois Vineyards & Winery – Rocheport
The Les Bourgeois Winery newly expanded tasting room, located directly off Interstate 70 at the Rocheport exit, was once a restaurant attached to a hotel. The hotel space made way for warehouse and production facilities, but the brick building remains as a convenient place for wine lovers to experience Les Bourgeois’ award-winning wines.
- Lost Creek Vineyard – Marthasville
The property where you will now find Lost Creek Vineyard was overgrown and in various phases of degradation when it was purchased by brothers in 1997. Through hard work and dedication, it has been transformed. They rehabbed the old farmhouse and, with the help of area architects, were able to maintain the original “footprint” and added a spacious wraparound porch and picnic area.
- Pirtle Winery – Weston
Pirtle Winery is housed in a former Lutheran Evangelical Church that was built by German immigrants in 1867. On the first floor of the building is an indoor winegarden with wine bar and plenty of seating. The tasting room and gift shop are on the second floor, and a vine-covered wine garden is between the winery building and press house.
- Riverwood Winery – Rushville
Riverwood Winery’s tasting room and giftshop are based in a 1950’s era renovated school building located along the east bank of the Missouri River. The building is an example of classic 1950’s style architecture – single level, flat roof, lots of windows. The winery also features a re-fit 1930s tobacco barn where special events and weddings are held.
- Sainte Genevieve Winery – Ste. Genevieve
The Sainte Genevieve Winery and tasting room in downtown Ste. Genevieve is housed in a four square turn of the century brick home that was converted into a temporary hospital after World War I. The house was also the home to the first radio station in the area. It was started by the son of the then owners with knowledge he brought back after the Vietnam War.
- Stonehaus Farms Winery – Lee’s Summit
Stonehaus Farms Winery takes its name and a portion of its tasting room from the original stone house that was on the property. Additional facilities have been added, including event space and outdoor seating to create a warm and inviting atmosphere for customers.
- Terre Beau Vineyards & Winery – Dover
Terre Beau Winery is located within a pre-Civil War era church, circa 1858. It was built for pioneers and frontiersmen exploring the west. During the Civil War the building was used as a jail for confederate soldiers. Now you can come and go as you please, but you may not want to leave.
- Viandel Vineyards – Mountain View
The site where Viandel Vineyards now resides was once The Apple House orchard and local market. The farmhouse and fruit stand have been remodeled into a sophisticated winery and comfortable tasting room.
- West Winery – Macon
West Winery is located in downtown Macon in an 1880’s building that primarily housed men’s suit shops and haberdasheries prior to finding new life as a winery. You can watch the wine making process right from the tasting room.
- Westphalia Vineyards – Westphalia
Once a hotel, the downtown building is now home to Westphalia Vineyards. The upstairs portion is the tasting room, called the Norton Room, named for the Missouri state grape. Downstairs is a family style restaurant, The Westphalia Inn.